Nyarugusu Camp was established in 1996 to host the influx of Congolese forced to leave their country due to war that has caused the death of about 8 million. In 2015, the camp’s population grew from 68,000 to 250, 000 due to the influx of Burundian refugees fleeing political violence.
- Nyarugusu Camp has poor sanitation, no jobs, high birth rate, rapes, etc.
- No educational opportunities beyond high school
- Over 55% of Nyarugusu population is below age 18 – over 200 graduate from high school every year
What We are Doing in Nyarugusu
- Providing feeding and teaching programs once a week to 50 children at risk of malnutrition
- Sponsoring high school graduates to go to university in neighbouring countries
- Organizing workshops and seminars on various issues
To learn more about Nyarugusu Camp click here.